Monday

The Things I Carry

Everyday, we see kids, teens, and even adults carrying around backpacks, purses, and briefcases no matter where they are going. These backpacks and such contain valuable items to each and everyone of those people, which may symbolize something important and special to them. The story of what each person carries is very similar to Tim Obrien's story, "The Things They Carried." In this story he talks about both the tangible and intangible items the soldiers carry with them everyday as they prepare for war. We as humans, also carry both these tangible and intangible items.

I too, carry items that are both tangible and intangible. No matter where I'm going or what I'm doing, I always have my cell phone with me along with my wallet and keys. My cell phone is a very important part of my life as it enables me to keep in touch with the world along with my family, my friends, and my school. Having a cell phone makes me feel secure at times because I know if anything goes wrong, I'm only a click of a button away from help. My wallet is also a very precious item to me as it has my license, credit cards and other valuable information about me. In my wallet, I always like to have money on me even if I know I'm not going to need it, god forbid something happens or comes up. Another tangible item I always have with me are my keys, whether they are for my car, or to my house. Having a license and a car enables me to go out anywhere at anytime, and is a great convenience. No longer must I hound my parents to take me to the store or to a friends house. Attached to my car keys are the keys to my house. Bringing these with me everywhere I go also gives me a feeling of security. With these keys I know that if I ever run into a problem and need to go home, I will be able to get into my house where I will hopefully be safe.

Another tangible item I always wear or have with me is my jewelry. My bracelet is extremely special to me because it was given to me by my parents the day I graduated high school. This bracelet symbolizes accomplishment and hardwork. If it weren't for the grades I worked for in high school, I would not be where I am today. Another piece of jewelry that I always wear are the diamond earrings my grandma gave me the day I turned thirteen. On that special day I became a bat mitzvah which marks the stage in Judaism where you enter adulthood. This was a life changing moment and day for me, and wearing these diamond earrings reminds me of that spectacular day. Not only was my grandma very very proud of me, but this also was a fascinating moment for her because I was her first grandchild to become a bat mitzvah.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    Good job with the things you carry. It's amazing how much these short pieces reveal about the people who write them, how much is shown through these little windows of words.

    I'm eager to see what you do with the two very different stories about care giving--the W.C. Williams and the Rebecca Brown stories. Let your responses and associations run wild and free, and then you'll work at directing them toward a formal paper.

    Glad you got this going. Aren't you relieved?

    ReplyDelete